|Ashoka headpiece photo by Kara Hartz|
Mistakes were made.
I was nervous about the complexity of this project, but I guess things are going. . . okay? I usually let the kiddos help out with their costumes, but now that they’re bigger, I’m really trying to get them much more involved. So she didn’t want to do any sewing, but she cut out the pattern and fabric for the headpiece, made the clay decorations that will go on the front. (I don’t know what those are called), painted them, and painted the headpiece. So tidying up of the painting will have to happen, but she will do that on her own as well.
All I did was sew and put in the wire in the top. We had a problem of it being much too small when we first did a trial fitting and I was frustrated that we might have to start completely over. Luckily, my fix of just tearing out and making bigger the top section worked well enough that the kiddo declared it good. I might have been inclined to tear out and enlarge other pieces (ok, that would be starting over basically) but I’m trying to keep this her project that I’m helping with and not the other way round. She says it’s good. So it’s good.
I didn’t supervise her directly while she worked so I don’t know if the problem was the pattern, or the cutting out. We also had some printer difficulty so the odds are, the problem was on our end. Still, we made it work. We picked this tutorial to follow because it seemed a lot more manageable than many of the others we watched. At least it was made from fabric, and not latex or other materials I haven’t heard of and wouldn’t know how to get. Although if she keeps getting more into cosplay, I just might learn.