It was cute, it was scrappy, and I could adapt it to a little block that I could make in a short amount of time. Winner! If you follow the link you will see there is also a bird pattern that I had intended to use, but the scraps I picked turned out not to have good contrast with each other or the background, so it didn’t look good, and as you can see from my finished block, there really wouldn’t have been room anyway. I still liked the musical notes, even without the bird to sing them, so I left them in anyway. I can do that because I’m a grown up.
I’ve been trying to tidy and organize while out recovering from surgery. Not easy to do without bending or lifting anything, so it isn’t really going all that well. But I did find a bunch of fabric scraps all over the place, and put them all together. I’ve read quilting blogs that seem to consider a fat quarter, or even bigger pieces of fabric a ‘scrap’, but to me a scrap is a few inches at best. Something left over from another project, not big enough to do much with.
I decided I should come up with something fun to do with some of the scraps. I thought, since I haven’t done any applique in a long time, that would be fun. Poking around the internet, I found a free pattern for the above flower here: