While the garden started out rough, and many seeds never came up, and many small seedlings didn’t thrive, now that what’s left is well established, things seem to be goin well. I am very excited about these cantaloupe. I’ve tried watermelons in the past, but have never had much luck. Maybe they don’t do well in containers; maybe I just don’t have the skill to grow them. Either way I usually ended up with one or two comically tiny golf ball sized melons and that was that. I thought cantaloupe are smaller, maybe they would do better, and so far so good. These are a little bigger than my hand and have continued to grow since I took the photo a few days ago.
I also cut down the larges of the mammoth sunflowers. I thought birds were eating the seeds, which I was fine with, but then I figured out they were just falling out, and I didn’t want them going to waste. My research instructed me to lay the head out a couple days to let the seeds dry. Tomorrow we will attempt to roast them. I suspect at least a couple of the other flowers will need to come down soon as well.